A foundry was established on the present site in about 1870 being operated by Truswells, a firm of heating engineers, to provide the radiator and boiler parts they needed.
About 1885, Truswells sold the foundry to Charles Butcher, who may possibly have been their foreman. He ran it until 1900 when, on his retirement, he sold it to Arthur Naylor and his brother-in-law, Charles Oxley. They converted it into a limited company, Charles Butcher & Co. Ltd., on September 19th 1900.
The company continued to trade through boom and slump and two world wars. After the second war, two plots of adjoining land were leased, enabling the whole foundry to be rebuilt and enlarged. Electric melting was installed in the seventies.
In 1990, there was an amalgamation with another foundry and this entailed the setting up of a separate company, Durham Foundry (Sheffield) Ltd. In 1996, Charles Butcher & Co. Ltd bought out the other interest and is now the sole owner of the production company.
The business is still owned and managed by members of the Naylor family. Please browse our website for more information on: